Work and travel in China
Change the way thousands of Chinese applicants are evaluated
Prove you have what it takes to succeed in a fast-growing company
Vericant Operations Associates interview students applying to US and Canadian schools and take on a variety of projects integral to our business. One day, you might be flying to Chengdu or Hong Kong to scout out a new location, and the next, you could be back at our headquarters in Beijing supporting our video editors and translators to produce top-notch videos, all while brainstorming new Vericant products.
Every year we hire a new cohort of Operations Associates to help us revolutionize international admissions from our office in Beijing. If you think that you have the skills and the mindset to grow with us, apply before July, 2017.
As a Vericant Operations Associate in our entry-level professional training program we trust you to:
Interview Chinese students as part of their admissions process to study abroad
Support interview and assessment quality maintenance
Gain management experience by overseeing Vericant interviewers
Independently manage projects and processes
Take on special assignments to exhibit and build your own professional skills
Here are the qualities we expect you to bring to the table:
A bachelor’s degree
Native English speaker from the US or Canada
Ability to take initiative and work independently
Excellent attention to detail and consistency
Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills that are warm and friendly
Ability to demonstrate professionalism with our clients and amongst Vericant peers
Resourcefulness and constantly seeking to improve
But if you’ve got these in addition, that’s even better:
A bachelor’s degree in Chinese, East Asian Studies, or a related field
Familiarity with China/US study abroad trends and/or international admissions
Full professional proficiency in Chinese
Ability to think on your feet
Experience working in Mainland China and a demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally
Excited by working in a fast-growth, startup environment
Experience editing video and/or audio
What’s it like to work at Vericant?
I enjoy speaking to young, Chinese students from all over the country and hearing about their experiences and their lives. Working with Vericant, I get to meet the current generation of Chinese students who will become future leaders. Working in a growing startup is an experience worth having. Even as a relatively junior team member, I am in close contact with Vericant’s founders. In a bigger company, I would never have the same level of personal contact that we have with Vericant’s leaders.Former Vericant Operations Associate
At Vericant, I’m not just earning the money to pay bills and to put food on the table. I’m learning how a startup is run, how to manage small projects and processes that are essential to the operations of the business, and how to get things done effectively. In none of the previous organizations that I worked for did I feel like I was challenged to grow and to learn new things. At Vericant, I really feel like I’m part of a team that is working towards a common goal. I’m gaining the kind of experience that will eventually enable me to run my own company and to manage people and projects.Former Operations Associate, current Assistant Operations Manager
Working with Vericant has some great perks:
- Ground floor opportunity with a young team; if you prove yourself as an associate, within a few years you could be helping to shape the strategic direction of the company
- Flexible working hours; work from home, work from a hotel on the road, or work from our Beijing office. We like people to have a regular, in-person presence in Beijing, but there are days when you would simply get more done by working from home, and we understand that
- Flexible vacation days; during our busy season we all tend to work long hours, including a lot of weekends. You earn vacation days in lieu, and getting multiple weeks of hard-earned, paid vacation is a great feeling
- Paid sick leave; when our employees are sick, the only thing we want them concerned with is getting well
- Have a real impact on people’s lives; this is an opportunity to change how Chinese students are assessed and selected for opportunities in North America; we’re enabling real people to gain access to opportunities
- Bright, motivated colleagues; you’ll get to work with people that have graduated from top schools, started multiple companies, and lived in half a dozen countries
- Regular travel to cities across China
- Visa costs and visa-related flights covered by Vericant; we make sure that there are minimal difficulties with working in China
- Health Insurance; we care about our employees and want our team to be in tip-top shape
- Professional development program; each Operations Associate is paired with a coach, who will help them discover and reach their professional potential
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the deadline?
We are always looking for exceptional people to join our operations team and we evaluate applications on a first come, first serve basis. We prefer to have Operations Associates join us in July and August each summer in order to learn the business before our busy season starts, but we will train the right candidate at any time.
What kind of person thrives as an Operations Associate with Vericant?
If you enjoy talking to and learning about people, if you are excited to take on new projects, and if you want to be deeply involved in improving the international admissions process, then Vericant is a great fit for you. As part of a small, cross-functional team, your work contributes directly and tangibly to the growth of the company, one which is doubling every year and making waves in the international admissions scene. We’re looking for ambitious individuals early in their career who are willing to grow with us and to develop their skills while having front row seats to the changing lives of China’s youth. Does this sound like you?
What are the expectations for an Operations Associate?
In your full-time position as a frontline team member, you will conduct in-person interviews with Chinese applicants, support quality control of final videos, oversee part-time interviewers, and coordinated with a larger Operations team to support thousands of interviews happening across China.
Do Associates work on non-Operational tasks?
All Operations Associates will have opportunities to work on extra projects, whether in Marketing, CRM, or HR, depending on your strengths and interests. We give Associates opportunities to take on small projects and leadership roles so that they are ready to step into managerial positions upon completion of the program. Previous Operations Associates have:
- Learned Python and written programs which are now core to Vericant
- Designed and implemented new HR systems
- Delivered marketing presentations about the Vericant interview to students and their families
- Created new company policies
- Learned video editing
- Planned awesome company events
How large is Vericant?
We are a small team with a big reach. As of early 2017, Vericant employs 26 full-time staff. Most of us are based in Beijing. We also have staff based in Shanghai and across the USA and Canada.
How long will I be an Associate?
From the summer of one year until March 31st of the following year. Associates start training in the summer so that they can hit the ground running at the beginning of interview season in August, and by the time Operations Associates have gone through one full season with us they are skilled enough to help us plan and prepare for the next season. At that point, Operations Associates move up to higher roles, acting as leaders and managers to the next cohort of Operations Associates.
What happens after the Associate program is over?
Vericant is a rapidly growing company and we are always looking to keep great people. For those who meet and even exceed expectations by working hard and constantly striving to improve, the work you do during the interview season will translate directly to your next, more permanent role at the company, whether it is remaining in Operations or moving into other areas.
Do I need to be located in Beijing to be an Associate?
Yes. All Associates must live in Beijing. If you are not currently in Beijing, you are welcome to apply, but you must move to Beijing before the beginning of the contract.
How do I apply to be an Associate?
Send an email with a cover letter and a resume in a single PDF document to email@example.com. We will reply to you with the next steps in the application process. After emailing in your documents, someone from Vericant will reach out to qualified candidates to schedule an interview via Skype or WeChat. A second interview will take place with a more senior manager, we will do a brief call in Chinese, and we will contact at least 3 references before a decision is reached. The entire process normally takes at least one month.